Did you know that 80% of Internet users own a smartphone? and 89% of time spent on mobile is using the app? The statistics show the importance of mobile marketing and its future. Moreover, to emphasize on this point I would like to share a personal experience on this aspect as I was remembering my situation when I was reading those statistics and facts. I came to New York City as a tourist with my husband in 2010 and that was the first time we visited the city, knowing how NYC has multiple transportation options, different subway and many areas to visit, we use to ask people around us to guide us and support us in subway and street routes, however; when I came in Fall 2015 (September) as a student this time, I heavily relied on the google map app to show me the destinations and routes and not only that I used it to help me to find the right accommodation for me whereby, I ensured to have all major transportation closer to me and not only that, we normally tend to use the app to help us find the restaurants around the area and other major attraction. Taking this into account, we can see how five years of time has dramatically changed my behavior in terms of a simple aspect so, you could imagine how did mobile is really used and changed the behavior of many other consumers.
That above graph shows that today people tend to use their mobile devices more than using the desktop. The following shows what people mainly use their devices for:
- 1% self-expression – participating in hobbies and interest
- 4% discovery – seeking news and information
- 7% preparation – plan for upcoming event and activity
- 11% accomplishing – managing finance, health, and productivity
- 12% shopping – seeking product or service
- 19% socializing – interacting with other people
- 46% Me time – relaxation and entertainment, this is considered a critical one due to its percentage; therefore, you should ensure to connect with consumers at this stage.
Looking at the mentioned data, Mobile has become one of the successful tools to build around your digital marketing, however; when you think of mobile devices, think Apps, not Ads as consumers don’t perceive them as advertising but rather value them for their functionality and convenience. Moreover, Apps are considered cost efficient in comparison to traditional ads and sometimes they can be seen as revenue streams or sales function. Not to mention how consumers get irritated from seeing ads when they are using a certain app or even viewing a website.
Taking into consideration the above, you should always keep the following mobile App success strategies into consideration to support you in achieving your marketing goals:
- The App should add convenience to the consumer, examples of this would be:
- Airline – To support the consumer in the check-in process as well as booking a flight and checking prices.
- Bank – To support consumers in viewing their statements and make money transfers.
- Offer unique value – The App should be able to do something which desktop can’t do, a perfect example would be is doing grocery shopping through using QR codes and items can be delivered to the home.
- Provide social value – Give the consumer chance to interact and network with their friends and family such as, what’s up, snap chat, facebook, etc.
- Entertainment – The consumer should be able to use the app for relaxation and play games, watch movies and listen to music.
- Time to download – Remember to ensure that the App can be downloaded fast and it doesn’t contain any bugs or virus hence; consumers won’t wait long for it to download.
- Localization – Ensure that your App can be localized according to the consumer’s location, for them to get up to date information available at their place.
- Review – Remember to always allocate a dedicated team to review the App prior launching it. Moreover, always put yourself in the consumers shoes to ensure that you are providing the right App that people will appreciate and would like to download and use frequently.
To conclude, mobile is a device that consumers tend to use to support them in the decision-making process, therefore; it is important for us to ensure to create a memorable and good experience to get them interested in our product or service. Also, keep in mind when developing your website to design it in such a way to be mobile friendly to enable consumers to view it at right dimension when using their mobile devices.
For further reading on this topic:
Harvard Business Review – How people really use mobile?
Harvard Business Review – For Mobile Devices, Think Apps Not Ads